Saturday, December 1, 2012

Ketchup With Us #7


This time around we have been challenged to share a favorite Holiday recipe, no word limit this time!

When I think of Christmas I think of lefse, lutefisk, and my Grandma Andy's Meatballs. Two of the three things invoke good memories. (See this post Ketchup with Us #6 to see which of those 3 I dread.) Grandma Andy also had an aversion to fish and would tell me she made the meatballs for us, but I know they were for everyone. She passed away when I was 13 years old, but the meatballs have remained on our the Christmas menu. Thank you to my Dad for allowing me to share the recipe with all of you.

Mom's Meatballs
Meatballs:                                                           Gravy:
1 lb. ground beef                                                1/4 c. flour
1/2 lb. ground pork                                           1 tsp. paprika
1/2 c. onions                                                       1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. fine bread crumbs (croutons)               1/8 tsp. pepper
1 T. parsley                                                         3/4 c. sour cream to be added 20 minutes
1 1/2 tsp. salt                                                      before serving
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 c. milk

Mix meatball ingredients well, shape into balls the size of walnuts,
brown in 1/4 c. oil
Mix gravy ingredients with meat drippings and 2 cups boiling
water
Cook in crock pot for 4 hours, add 3/4 c sour cream 20 minutes
before serving

KETCHUP WITH US

4 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks, Heidi. I've been looking for a good meatball recipe for a while now. I don't have natural skills, you know? Not only do my kids love them, but I think they'd like MAKING them, too. Great entry.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to make homemade meatballs. They are great for sandwiches, too. :) Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many childhood memories involve food, and these sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete