Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Ketchup With Us #1

2 of my favorite bloggers Mel of www.accordingtomags.com and Michele of www.olddognewtits.com have joined forces and created a link up called "Ketchup With Us" on the 1st & 15th of each month they will post a writing prompt with a picture or video as the inspiration. 

The 1st prompt is:
Tell us in 57 words or less the best advice that you have ever received from someone older than you or that you admire.


"Step out of the box"

Those 5 words were ones I heard many times during my college years. My adviser, professor, friend and pseudo mom Kim preached these words to us on many an occasion.

It was not until the start of my Senior year that I really took those words to heart. As a theatre major I had been involved in many productions but I was technical theatre gal not an actress. But one thing I wanted to do before I graduated was to see my name on the cast list for a musical with a character name by it, not under the ensemble. Did I mention that I am not a singer or that the musical we were doing was "Damn Yankees." yeah. 

If you know "Damn Yankees" you know that there are very few female roles. Big task ahead of me. So I did what any reasonable senior would do. I joined the choir and took voice lessons. Both of which scared the crap out of me. 

Fast forward a few months to audition time. I got up sang my heart out, managed not to throw up or faint. My effort was rewarded. When I looked at "the list" I had a character name! I was cast as the Postmaster. Yes. She changed history and made me the postmaster in the 1950's. It was speaking role not a singing role but I didn't care. I was someone and my hard work was being rewarded.


Ketchup With Us

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on your named role in a play. It always feels awesome when we accomplish something we put our minds to.

    I am visiting from the Ketchup Linkup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahooo for pushing your comfort zone open. That had to be difficult, and the reward must have been thrilling. That box needs to be thrown out the window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job! I LOVE that show and have actually been in it, too. And, no, I was not Lola either. :)

    Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Heidi! Reminds me of the excitement of being named Aunty Em in the Wizard of Oz, even though I have the distinct impression I only got that because of my mature looking face and motherly curves... :)
    I also remember one particular Munchkin in that musical... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I remember a Dutch girl playing Auntie Em and being encouraged to be a "big Burly German" woman when I was a munchkin in the Wizard of Oz ;)

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the role, Heidi! Great post. Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So impressed! I can do anything on stage in a straight play, but musicals still terrify me! I love them. I am a one-woman show in the car, but live, in person, a musical? I want to throw up on my shoes.
    Good for you for making it happen!

    ReplyDelete